Thursday, March 3, 2016

Month-Long Weirdathon TBR

When I heard about the Month-Long Weirdathon being hosted by Outlandish Lit (thanks to the lovely Brittany at Under The Radar Books), my first thought was YES, SIGN ME UP. While I read a lot of standard YA/Fantasy fair, I do love to read really weird shit every now and then. Weird books make a big impact, whether you love them or hate them…you’re definitely going to feel some kind of way about it. I decided to make a shorter TBR list as a starting point, and any updates or changes will be made here or on Twitter.


Some of these may not be weird by your standards, but each of these books has something that is different, at least for me, and has some element that will take me out of my comfort zone.


1. Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer. My friend Lizz read this recently, and recommended that I pick it up. This science fiction story follows an all-female crew as they travel to the supposed Eden called Area X, where all previous exploration crews have gone missing. This is the first in a trilogy, and I’m excited to see what creepy, weird things happen when the crew arrives at Area X. Plus, bonus points for all-female cast of characters.

2. Wink Poppy Midnight by April Genevieve Tucholke. I received an ARC of this that I need to read and review this month, but luckily this seems like it’ll be a bit weird. Two books, one stone. This has been compared to The Raven Boys, which…tall order, but I’m intrigued. There’s a question of whether or not something supernatural is happening in this mysterious and strange story.

“Every story needs a hero.
Every story needs a villain.
Every story needs a secret.

What really happened?
Someone knows.
Someone is lying.”

THROUGHOULY INTRIGUED. This is one of my most anticipated March releases, so I hope it’s weird and enthralling and perfect.

3. Hot Pterodactyl Boyfriend by Alan Cumyn. Yeah, you know this book is going to be fucking weird by the title alone. Our MC is a straight-laced stickler for the rules who never does anything unexpected – until a hot pterodactyl boy transfers to her school and joins a band. I swear this is the weirdest sounding book I’ve ever encountered, but I’m pretty excited.


4. The Stone Gods by Jeanette Winterson. I’ve never read anything by Jeanette Winterson before, but I figured this was a pretty good opportunity. Our main characters, a pilot named Billie and a robo-sapien named Spike, are sent to colonize a new planet for humans to inhabit, and are also falling in love. From what I understand, there’s also a reincarnation story line or sorts, so this is just checking off all the weird boxes.

5. Ancillary Justice by Anne Leckie. I’ve heard about this series for a while now, mostly thanks to Liz Loves Lit on YouTube. Ancillary Justice, from what I can gather, is about a soldier named Breq who used to be a starship with artificial intelligence, but is betrayed and forced to inhabit a human body. Now she’s out for revenge. I put off reading this for so long because the premise sounds crazy weird, so now is obviously the perfect time to finally read it.

Those are the five books I have for my Weirdathon TBR, but if you have any suggestions of weird books, please share! Also, let me know what some of your favorite weird reads are.

No comments:

Post a Comment